Zero Emissions Day: 7 easy ways to reduce your carbon footprint
September 21st, 2008 saw the birth of International Zero Emissions Day. Giving our planet one day off a year. This simple yet profound message started when a father making a pizza run, looked outside his car window and noticed the amount of electricity and waste his neighborhood was producing. All the lights were on, all the cars were stuck in evening traffic, when a thought came to mind – What if we all just stop for one day and let our environment breathe? Each one of us can make a difference and if we all make small, simple changes, we can create change. We just have to believe.
So without further ado, here are some easy ways you can help celebrate Zero Emissions day and give our environment a break!
1. Stop buying your water in plastic – Reusable bottles are a great way to make a difference, and also look extremely cool. Get a reusable water bottle and keep it filled and with you at all times. You’ll save money and the environment!
2. Walk, bike, or take public transportation - The average person can walk a mile in 20 minutes. So next time you go out to your local grocery store or post office, go by foot or bike. It’s a great way to add some exercise to your busy schedule and burn fewer toxic fuels.
3. Turn off the lights when you leave a room – Save on your household utility bill and give the environment a much-needed break. When you leave a room, turn off the lights. If you are not charging your phone right now, take the charger out of the socket. Small stuff that carry a huge weight. This goes for air-conditioning as well, turn it off and open a window when you leave home.
4. Keep your car tires inflated – Having low pressure tires makes your car’s engine work harder and burn more fuel. Wasting gas and increasing emissions, keep your car tuned and tires inflated for a simple way to make a difference.
5. Eat more food that is grown locally – Wherever possible, opt for locally grown fruits and vegetables. You’ll be saving countless miles traveled by heavily polluting trucks which carry produce across the country every day. You will also be supporting your community in the process by buying local. A word about plastics – Many fruits and vegetables are sold in plastic containers, funny as they have the best container provided 100% by mother nature, their peels! Buy produce that does not come in plastic containers and wash it at home before making a nice salad.
6. Use a colder water cycle when washing your clothes – Make sure to only do your laundry in full loads. This will dramatically decrease the amount of water and energy used, helping you save money. Bonus points for hanging your clothes out to dry, it takes an immense amount of energy to power your dryer.
7. Keep “junk” out of the landfill – If you are not using something anymore, try selling it. With so many options these days, from thrift stores to yard sales and even online, you’ll be amazed at how quickly your son’s 20 year-old batman action figure will sell. You can always donate old clothes to charity, and don't forget our furry little friends too. Most animal shelters would appreciate any kind of linen donation, even old worn out towels or bed sheets. You’ll get more closet space and some lucky cat or dog will get a new bed for Winter.
It's up to you to make a difference!
Taking personal action isn’t hard and also comes with a lot of other benefits. In addition to lowering your personal emissions and reducing your carbon footprint, you’ll save time, money, avoid traffic, reduce pollution, improve air quality, and enjoy a healthier, more active lifestyle.
We believe that taking personal action is the only way create change. It starts with each one of us and the daily choices we make. Do we care about the environment? Do we wish to help? Or do we stand by complaining, never taking action? Dedicating this entire week to Pollution Prevention, we thought this would be a great time to introduce our "Treehuggers Monthly Bracelet Club". An amazing way to give back to nature on a monthly basis. Right now, and for a limited time, you can get your first monthly bracelet for 50% Off! Enjoy our great giveaways and plant life harboring trees on a monthly basis.
Join thousands of other community members already creating change. Click here and start making a difference.