February 17th, is a holiday entirely dedicated to performing acts of kindness for others, just because. It’s a day meant for celebrating all the kindness that has been shared with us throughout our lives, and sharing kindness with others in turn!
And so without any further ado... Here are 5 random acts of kindness you can do to brighten up anyone's day!
1. Write a thank-you note to someone who helps your community. This is the nicest and probably simplest act of kindness you can do right away! And it doesn't have to be a big sobbing letter to a high ranking public official or celebrity. Start small by writing a thank you note to your neighbor for keeping their yard clean or for just being a good friend. Leave a thank you note outside your door for a delivery person and make that person's day. Small things can have a big impact.
2. Send flowers to a friend or family member. Isn't it great? You hear a knock at the door and when you open... A handsome bouquet of flowers is there waiting with our name on it! Well how about sending flowers to someone else, just because. Flowers like lilies, daisies and carnations can lighten up anyone's day and sending them takes a minute and a half. Send them to your daughter who lives far away or to a neighbor two doors down, receiving flowers will be an act of kindness they'll remember forever.
3. Offer your elderly neighbor help with household chores. We all have that neighbor, or maybe a relative who is older than us and can use a bit of help (even if they would never ask for it). Do something sweet for that person by helping them in some yard work or offering to jump over for coffee as an excuse to check up on them (and do the dishes).
4. Complement 3 people today. My, that's a beautiful dress. Who wouldn't want to hear that? A small compliment can go a long way and instantly put a smile on someone's face. Compliment a friend on redecorating, even if you think the new living room is appalling. Approach a stranger and say that they look very lovely and move on. If someone has made an effort, offer them positive feedback and they'll thank you for it.
5. Visit or call someone who can’t get out much. It so important to keep in touch. Always, but especially these days. With people spending more time indoors, in seclusion, avoiding public gatherings, a simple phone call can be an awesome act of kindness. Ring up a friend who you used to see more of or video conference, just to say hello and ask how they are doing. Don't be afraid, the conversation will take care of itself.
Performing random acts of kindness can be very rewarding and make us feel fulfilled - making a difference in someone else's life. We tend to remember people who were kind to us, especially if that kindness came from the heart and was independent of self interest. Just because you care.
Perform a few random acts of kindness and wright us from your own experience in our facebook group where we share stories and discuss ways to make the world a better place!
Have a nice day!
P.s. Looking really good today, love it! 🥰